TY's blog

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Farewell, Ray Barone family

Everybody loves Raymond is my favorite TV comedy in America. After 9 years of broadcast, it went to an end last week. I have to say it is not in my first impression when I saw it on TV. Even a little boring I thought after a few minutes and I tuned to another channel in no time. However, when I moved to New Jersey and found a plenty of spare time in the evening, I thought what the heck, just give it a chance. And it certainly appeals to me. All right, I confess I spent too much time like couch potato, but it's a good excuse to learn English! I love the way Frank (Ray's father) talks in terms of local American slang you can never learn in textbooks.

They are small people living in a usual house and close to their families. I mean maybe it's not usual you would live with your parents across the street. But emotionally, you know your family is there. And they care about you, no matter what you did, they love you. Sometimes agitating though. My girlfriend said I am somehow like Raymond, a little pessimistic. Well, could be true in particular when she treats me like Debra did to Ray.

My mother happened to be a script writer. She always told me a successful drama must connect to the audience. Make them felt it happened in their lives. To develop a character just like everybody else, but remember put some flavor in it. A little cynical, a little bit dramatic and here it comes, the Barone family. It's so successful in their characters, because you can find some of your personalities in them.

Shits happened in life. We all know about it. You just need to find a way to face it, may not be easy, but you know your beloved family will be there and willing to help. That's a way why everybody loves Raymond.

You can tell I love writing sports in cyberspace. In reality, however, it's not gonna feed me. How lucky you are, Ray Barone, to find a way make your living in such a joyful way. Farewell, Ray, we love you.